Contact: Casper Hill, 612-673-2342
First phase residents: sign up for organics recycling by July 10 to get your new cart in August
More than 29,500 households have already signed up
June 30, 2015 (MINNEAPOLIS) Minneapolis Solid Waste and Recycling customers who live in the first-phase rollout areas can still sign up by July 10 to get green carts during the August rollout. (For future deliveries, people can sign up any time.)
Here are five good reasons for people to sign up:
- To reduce waste. More than a third of our trash is organic material that can be composted. Most families can divert up to 10 pounds of materials to organics recycling each week.
- To help create more compost. Things like meat, bones, dairy products and compostable plastics can’t go in a backyard composting bin, but they can be collected through organics recycling and turned into compost.
- To save money. Once you start producing less trash, you may be able to switch to a smaller garbage cart, which will cut $3 off your monthly bill.
- To be a part of the sustainability trend. More than 29,500 households have already signed up to participate.
- To help improve soil quality. Using compost returns nutrients to the soil, reduces erosion, and reduces the needs for watering and for chemical fertilizers.
Minneapolis recycling customers can learn more about organics recycling at minneapolismn.gov/organics.
Videos about organics recycling
These simple, clear videos will help people understand how they can participate in the organics recycling program.
Minneapolis Organics Recycling video
Minneapolis residents, you can recycle organics. Find out how to sign up and keep more things out of your trash.
Reciclaje de Desechos Orgánicos en Minneapolis (Organics Recycling video, Spanish)
Residentes de Minneapolis, usted puede reciclar desechos orgánicos. Infórmate cómo te puedes registrar y mantener más cosas fuera de su basura.
Dib u warshadaynta Qashinka Dabiiciga ah (Organics Recycling video, Somali)
Muwaadiniinta Minneapolis, Waxaad ka qaybqaadan kartaa in dib loo warshadeeyo Qashinka dabiiciga ah.
Nroog Minneapolis nyoj khoom tsis siv (Organics Recycling video, Hmong)
Pejxeem Minneapolis, koj nyoj tau cov khoom tha mab xaj tsis siv. Nrhiav chaw mus tso npe muab koj cov khoom pov tseg qee kom tsawg.
# # #[columnContainer fullscreen=”off” bgcolor=”#FFFFFF” bgimage=”” border=”yes”][/columnContainer]