Theft from Motor Vehicle July 24, 2015
In the past two weeks there have been 15 Thefts from Auto in Sector 3 of the 4th Precinct. This encompasses the area from Dowling Ave. N. to 53rd Ave N. The thefts have occurred throughout the sector with the majority of them in the Victory and Webber-Camden neighborhoods. Nine occurred during daylight hours and 7 occurred at night. In most cases cars were either left unlocked allowing thieves to rummage through them or valuables were left in plain sight in the passenger compartment of the vehicles, prompting thieves to smash a window to gain entry. In at least one case a garage door opener was taken from a car parked on the street and used to further burglarize a garage.
What you can do:
• NEVER LEAVE ANY THING OF VALUE IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT OF YOUR CAR.
• ALWAYS LOCK ALL DOORS AND ROLL UP THE WINDOWS WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE.
• Call 911 to report suspicious activity. This includes vehicles circling the block with occupants you don’t recognize, and strangers loitering or walking down your alley looking in garages/vehicles.
• If you have a garage, use it. Don’t park your vehicle on the street or in your driveway unless absolutely necessary.
• If you do have to park on the street, DO NOT leave your garage door opener in your vehicle.
• Where possible, park your car in a well lighted area. Avoid dark, secluded areas.
• Don’t hide spare keys in your vehicle.
• Always lock your garage’s service doors and overhead doors.
• Be alert to other people loitering nearby as you exit your vehicle.
• Organize or become involved in your local block club.
• Alert your neighbors and block club members to the problem and be sure to watch out for each other. Encourage them to call 911 to report suspicious activity
Receive time sensitive crime prevention alerts, gain valuable knowledge and crime prevention resources by signing up on: www.minneapolismn.gov/police/crimealert/police_crimealert_signup
The Minneapolis Police Department never shares your email address with solicitors.
Please call the 4th Precinct Property Crimes Unit at 673-5714 if you have any information about any of these thefts. You can remain anonymous. For additional crime prevention information please call your sector Crime Prevention Specialist. Call 673-5704 for more information.