Minneapolis Animal Care and Control is proposing ordinance changes to better reflect best practices for animal welfare, and the changing needs of the community. MACC is hosting three upcoming meetings to collect feedback from the public on the proposed changes. The dates and times are:
October 21, 6:30-8:30pm at East Phillips Park
2399 17th Ave. S. – Spanish interpreter will be present
October 22, 6:30-8:30pm at Farview Park
621 29th Ave. N. – Hmong interpreter will be present
November 2, 6:30 – 8:00pm at Fuller Park
4800 Grand Ave. S.
Highlights of the proposed changes:
* Better defines the City’s role and expands protections to all animals, not just domestic or companion.
* Increases transparency and accountability through enhanced record keeping
* Includes expanded definitions and clarifies the City’s scope of authority.
For Owners, Shelters and Rescue Organizations:
* Simplifies application process and streamlines notification requirements.
* Introduces expected standards of care for all animal owners, shelters and partner rescue organizations.
*Adds specific protocols to be considered in case of euthanasia, including creation and use of a rescue partner registry.