Contaminated fill will be excavated, hauled away and replaced with clean soil
In November contaminated soil sitting underneath the western portion of Northeast Athletic Field Park will be removed and replaced with clean dirt.
The two-week project literally lays the groundwork for future field and path improvements envisioned in the park’s master plan approved in 2014. Work is funded through a $173,000 Hennepin County Environmental Response Fund (ERF) grant awarded in January 2015. The project plan is designed to minimize disruption to park activity and only covers the portion of the park west of Fillmore Street NE.
The section of the park west of Fillmore Street served as a stone quarry from 1912 until 1937 and the land was acquired by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) in 1941. A two-part environmental site assessment conducted in 2014 confirmed elevated concentrations of mercury and lead in fill materials and soil piles underneath the park.