Fireworks!!  What Is Legal, What Is Not

An Important Message from the Minneapolis Police Department

Certain types of fireworks became legal in Minnesota in April 2002. With warmer weather and an increase of complaints about fireworks, the Minneapolis Police Department wants you to know these important facts

What’s legal?     Minnesota law permits the sale, possession and use of some non-explosive and non-aerial fireworks. Examples include sparklers, cones and tubes that emit sparks, and novelty items like snakes and party poppers. (These consumer fireworks may not be used on public property such as roads, alleys, schools, and parks.

Purchasers of these fireworks must be at least 18 years old. Sale, possession and use may occur at any time during the year.

Fireworks can only be sold from inside a permanent structure. Merchants selling fireworks from any location other than a permanent structure                                  are in a violation of a city ordinance.

What’s illegal?    The law still prohibits explosive and aerial fireworks for public sale, possession and use. Examples of illegal fireworks include firecrackers, bottle rockets, missiles, roman candles, mortars and shells—any fireworks that are explosive and aerial.

Please comply with the fireworks law!    Be a considerate neighbor! Fireworks can be extremely frustrating for neighbors, especially when homes are close to each other, people are trying to sleep or when small children and pets are frightened.

Fireworks are also very dangerous and pose a personal injury and structure fire risk.

Reserve the use of 911 to urgent concerns involving life safety.  Minneapolis 911 will have increased staffing during the holiday but fireworks noise complaints tie up a significant amount of resources which will result in longer 911 answer times for callers.

Due to the huge volume of calls received, police officers cannot be dispatched to each fireworks noise incident.  This is done to assure that police officers are available to respond to emergency situations in progress.


Fireworks complaints can also be filed on line or by calling 311